Friday, December 22, 2006

Bad Beads


While making this last necklace, I noticed the beads were losing their color. The seed beads were originally copper brown, but when I started using them, they started losing their color. They only lose their color when they are handled or if you roll them around on your fingers. These are Czech beads. From now on, when I buy metallic coated beads, I will roll them around in my fingers to make sure I don't get a bad batch of beads... a bead test... before I leave the store. Has anybody else had this problem before?

Picture: Beads on the left were the original color. Beads on the right are beads that were handled and lost their color.

2 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

I've seen that happen before, but usually only to beads made in China. :(

Have a happy holiday:)

Elizabeth Rosenberg said...

Hi! Just discovered your blog by following your recent comment on the Lone Beader's blog. Nice beadwork! I've had that problem with beads, too. In fact, I had to re-do an entire necklace that I'd made for my mom-in-law when the hot-pink beads did exactly the same thing . . . and then the silver beads did, too! What I've discovered is that if beads are either dyed (sometimes they'll have a "D" printed on the tube) or galvanized (likewise, they'll say "G") they are BAD, BAD beads! The color will fade from the dyed ones, and it will sort of chip off the galvanized ones. Very, very unattractive! If you buy your beads from a shop with a knowledgeable owner, she/he can tell you what kind of finish you're dealing with. Good luck with your future projects - keep up the great work! Oh, and come on over and visit my blog!